Monday 21 May 2012

Inspired by Social Media

So what's been inspiring me over the past week? Social Media. That's right, this 60 year old technophob is doing a degree course in Social Media and loving it!

It all began as a missunderstanding. I thought I had signed up for a free 8 week course, only to find out on the first evening that it's a 2 year degree course. Yet another of those coincedences that keep happening to me since I started to make jewellery. The amazing thing is, I was just thinking that I needed to know how to use social media to reach more brides to be (I just love making wedding jewellery).

What's that saying? When the student is ready the teacher appears. Facebook was a mystery, twitter an enigma and as for Pinterest, I had never heard of it. Then last week it all 'clicked.' Armed with my social media strategy I began to really engage people on Facebook with some really quirky photos and a competition. The result? My posts went viral! In a week the 'people talking about ' my posts increased 2,500% (and no I did not make a mistake with one to many zeros!), my 'likes' went up 56%, 'friends of fans' was up 72% and my weekly reach was up 940%. Finally, the best result of all, I got my first online sale!

Inspiration can come from the most unexpected places. So where did your unexpected inspiration come from?









No comments:

Post a Comment